We’ve invested lots of resources and research into understanding the chemistry behind carpet stain removal and how to get the most effective clean in your home. As one of the leaders in the industry, you can trust our expertise with the following insights and recommendations:
Professional Carpet Cleaning vs. DIY
While you can rent inexpensive steam cleaning machines, there are better methods than this for carpet cleaning. Steam cleaners spread water and detergent over carpet at high pressure, then rinse and vacuum up the moisture. This uses a large amount of water, which means potential longer dry times and higher risk of mildew growth. Also, there’s a risk of soap residue you use not being rinsed completely from your carpet. These leftover deposits actually attract dirt. Chem-Dry uses the Power of Carbonation to naturally and gently lift stains to the surface with millions of carbonated bubbles. This process requires ⅕ the amount of water as steam cleaning, leaves behind virtually no residue, and dries in just 1-2 hours.
- Do-It-Yourself also machines don’t heat the water to the same high temperatures as a professional. Professionals are able to use more powerful carpet cleaning machines that give you a better clean with hotter water and more effective vacuum systems.
- The quality of some rental machines out there is questionable. You can’t know for sure if the machine is in good repair, doesn’t suck up enough water, or distributes too much detergent.
- Your carpet should be slightly damp after the cleaning. If wet, that is an indication that the machine you used wasn’t strong enough. Depending on the strength of the equipment you rent, you could be left with soggy carpets. You’ll have to set up fans and the carpet can take as long as 1-2 days to dry. This interrupts your schedule and carpets that take longer than 24 hours to dry increases the risk of mildew growth. Chem-Dry’s Hot Carbonation Extraction method dries in just 1-2 hours.
- Additionally, it can be challenging to know the proper technique and amount of cleaner to use when you are cleaning your carpets on your own. The professionals have this down to a science from years of experience in the industry.
- Lastly, renting or owning your own machine comes at a high cost, especially in terms of your time and labor. You’ll need to buy your own cleaning solutions, pick up the machine, move furniture, do the labor yourself, and set up fans for drying. You also run the risk of making costly mistakes and accruing late fees for not returning the machine on time. Why go through all that hassle when you can pay a little more to have a professional do it for you? Professional cleaning may cost a little more, but in the long run you save big on convenience, time, and stress.
You can probably get the minor stains out yourself, but deeper stains and odors should really be handled by a professional. Especially if there is pet urine and odor in your carpet.